Wednesday, February 4, 2009

4 Fabulous Consignment and Thrift Stores in Washington, D.C.

The less you spend, the less you have to work (or at least that's the way it should be in an ideal world). Buying secondhand clothes is good for the earth and your pocketbook. Some of my best fashion finds are from thrift stores and consignment shops. Here are my favorites in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area:

1. Value Village/Unique Thrift Store in Maryland: Several location, loads of clothes. Tenacious searchers will find their offbeat somewhere in that store. I got my blue bellbottom cords and my Jackie O. inspired maternity dress there. Go on Mondays for 10 percent off.

2. Goodwill in Arlington, Va., at Route 50 and Glebe Road: Clothes are sorted by color rather than by season.

3. Gladrags in Takoma Park, Md. A little pricier than thrift stores, but the sorry clothes have already been sifted from the funky. Pictured here: A $10 floor-length vintage velvet gown worn at an inaugural ball.

4. The Remix, Capitol Hill: Owner Stacey rocks. I found a sequined gown and a teal green pea coat. Not to be worn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment